Follow us on:
Author: Fakhri Al-Arashi
Publisher & Chief Editor
Category: Local News, Date September 13th, 2012

Anti US protestors are likely to continue in Yemen



National Yemen

Protesters storm US Embassy in Sana'a

SAN’A, Yemen—Anti-American protests are expected resume after Friday prayers in response to the anti-Islam film produced in the United States. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton took strong steps Thursday to distance the U.S. government from a movie that has sparked protests throughout the Muslim world including Yemen.

“The U.S. government has absolutely nothing to do with this video. We absolutely reject its content and messages,” Clinton said. “But there is no justification none at all for responding to this video with violence.”

Yemen’s president, Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi, quickly apologized to the U.S. for the embassy attack and vowed track down the culprits, just as Libya’s president did. Egypt’s Islamist President Mohammad Morsi, who had been slow to speak out on Tuesday’s assault on the embassy in Cairo, promised Thursday that his government would not allow attacks on diplomatic missions.

In Yemen three killed and thirty people were injured on Thursday clashes between the embassy guards and the angered protestors who kept Chanting “death to America” and “death to Israel,”.

For the first time, over than three thousands Protestors managed to reach the embassy yard destroying 12 vehicles for the embassy. Yemeni security forces who rushed to the scene fired in the air and used tear gas to disperse the demonstrators, driving them out of the compound after about 45 minutes and sealing off the surrounding streets.

Inside the compound grounds, they brought down the American flag in the courtyard and replaced it with a black banner bearing Islam’s declaration of faith – “There is no God but Allah.” They did not enter the main building housing the embassy’s offices, some distance away from the entry reception. Demonstrators set tires ablaze and pelted the compound with rocks.

US law enforcement official says a man named Nakoula Basseley Nakoula is behind the anti-Muslim film being blamed for mob attacks on US missions in Egypt, Libya and Yemen.

A man who calls himself Sam Bacile has said he created the film, but The Associated Press on Wednesday connected Nakoula to the Bacile persona.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation.

In an AP interview, Nakoula says he managed logistics for the company that produced the film, which mocked Muslims and the prophet Muhammad. He denies that he was Bacile.

The movie is implicated in inflaming mobs that attacked US compounds in Egypt, Libya and Yemen. The US ambassador to Libya and three other Americans were killed.



Related Articles
Arwa Othman, YemenSep 17, 2014