Lifestyle

Cars accidenst are more dangerous for health than agricultural pesticides

By Wafa A.Alkhazzan

Sometimes carelessness may cost people their lives. The story of two twins (Ali and Suhail) is an example. Two twins died because they have a neighbor living in the apartment beneath them, who traveled abroad and placed insecticides on his floor. Unfortunately, they inhaled it and felt cramps and nausea after a short time. They died quickly in hospital, and it was discovered that they inhaled a substance called phosphine.

The widespread use of insecticides represents a real threat to life. Phosphine is considered to be a major risk to the human body, which is why it is banned in every Gulf state, and in humidity the insecticide phosphide aluminum will even form phosphine gas, which hardens the red blood cells and causes people to suffocate. This is why it is used for suicide.

Phosphine is a chemical compound with the formula of PH3. A flammable gas, it is colorless, and is toxic. Pure phosphine is odorless, but technical samples smell like garlic or rotting fish, due to the presence of phosphine with Aldivosevin (P2H4). Insecticides are necessary for those struggling with pests, and are used more frequently in the summer. However, experts warn that using too much of them has many risks.

The movie “Phosphine” was released online, discussing the seriousness of the toxic substance, and had more than 3.6 million viewers in five days. It recalled the tragic story of Masarah and Maisarah, who died in 2008 from poisoning.