Four suspected members of Al-Qaeda were killed Monday in an apparent American drone strike on the Yemeni city of Mukalla. The drone targeted a vehicle at the entrance to a presidential palace in Mukalla, capital of the southeastern province of Hadramawt, the official said, asking not to be named.
Monday’s airstrike came several days after it was revealed that a U.S. drone strike in April had killed Nasser bin Ali al-Ansi, the senior Al-Qaeda official who appeared in a video claiming the deadly January attack on French magazine Charlie Hebdo.
The announcement of al-Ansi’s death came in a video posted last week on Twitter by Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, which Washington considers the international terror network’s deadliest branch.
Washington has acknowledged that Al-Qaeda is gaining ground but has vowed to keep up its battle against the group.
The air raid appears to have been carried out overnight on April 21-22, when witnesses in Mukalla said an apparent US drone strike on a vehicle parked near the presidential palace in the city killed six suspected Al-Qaeda militants.