Two Americans held hostage for months by rebels in Yemen were freed on Sunday and quickly flown to safety in nearby Oman, which helped the United States secure the release of the men, American officials said.
Along with the Americans, a British citizen and three Saudis were also freed by the Houthi rebels, who ousted the government of Yemen this year and are now facing a campaign of airstrikes led by Saudi Arabia and backed by the United States.
All six hostages were released in Sana, the capital of Yemen. American officials said on Sunday that they were still working to discover details of what led to the release.
Along with the two American release from the strong hold of Houthi, he United States issued a new statement welcomes the release of two U.S. citizens who had been detained in Yemen since earlier this year. We have said that their release has been our focus since we first learned of their detention, and the Administration has been in regular contact with their families and representatives.
I want to express my appreciation to all involved in producing this outcome, especially the Government of Oman under the leadership of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos, our Ambassadors to Yemen and Oman and their teams, and our interagency partners.
We will continue to work tirelessly to pursue the release of all Americans detained abroad unjustly, including those who remain in the region.