The United Nations special envoy to Yemen says negotiations between conflicting parties are expected to begin by mid-November amid Saudi incessant airstrikes on the impoverished Arab state.
Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed said on Sunday that members of the Yemeni Ansarullah Houthi movement and the government of Yemen’s fugitive President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi should begin later this month.
“I expect that before mid-November, God willing, a date will be specified and I expect that the dialogue must begin before mid-November, as a minimum, 15 November,” Cheikh Ahmed said.
The UN special envoy added that he was working with a team to “reach an agreement on the date… and the subjects that will be discussed within the context of the UN Security Council Resolution 2216.”
This comes days after the Houthis said efforts to convene UN-backed peace talks aimed at finding a political solution to the ongoing situation in the country had failed.
Yemen has been witnessing airstrikes by Saudi Arabia since March 26, in line with Riyadh’s goal of undermining the Houthi movement and bringing Hadi back to power. The Saudi aggression has claimed the lives of more than 7,000 people so far, while a total of nearly 14,000 people have also been injured.