Dubai — Arab Coalition will revive its Operation Restoring Hope after Yemeni peace talks in Kuwait ended because of violations by Houthis, Brig. Gen. Ahmed Al-Asiri, spokesman of the Arab Coalition, told Al Arabiya’s sister channel Al Hadath.
While the operation began on April 21, 2015 and it is still active, “Operation Restoring Hope will be revived,” he said.
The operation was launched to bolster political and peace efforts but without ruling out the use of force. The operation followed the military Operation Decisive Storm.
Asiri, who is also an advisor to the Saudi defense minister, said Iran-backed Houthi militias considered the ending of Yemeni peace talks in Kuwait as an “opportunity” to expand their operations.
He said after suspending the talks, the Houthis started launching operations on the Saudi borders.
The brigadier general said a fire exchange following an aggression by the Houthis led to the killing of a Saudi soldier on the border, reiterating that the kingdom won’t tolerate such violations.
On Saturday, UN envoy to Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed announced the end of Yemen peace talks in Kuwait, but said negotiation between the two Yemeni warring sides will resume in a month.
The envoy rejected that the talks in Kuwait have failed, and criticized any “unilateral” steps taken by any of the two sides.
But he did not make any further mention of how the Houthis and forces loyal to Saleh on Saturday appointed a council set up to govern Yemen, in a new blow to the UN-mediated peace talks.
The militia alliance announced the creation of the council on July 28, a move denounced by Yemen’s internationally recognized government.
Ould Cheikh Ahmed said previously it would damage the talks and represented a “grave breach” of UN Security Council Resolution 2216.