Local News

At least 11 people killed in Yemeni clashes, attacks

Written by NY Staff

At least 11 people were killed Monday and 26 others injured in attacks in Yemen, according to reports.

One soldier was killed in an attack by Houthi rebels in the Han Mountain region in Taiz and nine rebels were killed in clashes in the Ed-Dabab region, the pro-government Popular Resistance Forces said in a statement.

A civilian was killed and six others were injured when rebels used rockets and cannons on a residential area in the center of Taiz.

Separately, 20 soldiers were injured when a roadside bomb exploded in Marib governorate. Some of the soldiers are in critical condition, authorities at the El-Heyet hospital said.

No group has yet taken responsibility for the attack.

Yemen has been ravaged by civil war since late 2014, when Houthi rebels overran the capital, Sanaa, and forced the government of President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi to flee to Riyadh.

The conflict escalated last year when Saudi Arabia and its Arab allies launched a massive military campaign aimed at reversing Houthi military gains and restoring Hadi’s government.

UN-sponsored peace talks in Kuwait between the Yemeni government and the Houthis broke down last month without any tangible breakthroughs.

More than 3 million Yemenis have been displaced by the ongoing conflict in the Arab country, according to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees.

Coalition-backed fighters liberate Arap Izzah and El Fursan as well as Idalat, Talyah Darbiyah areas and Kubba Turkuman Airport

Original Article