Local News

AIJES Director Condemns Al-Houthis Violation of Ceasefire in Yemen

Written by NY Staff

The National Centre for Human Rights and the International Agency for Press for Strategic Studies AIJES condemned Al-Houthis violations of ceasefire declared by the United Nations and approved by the Yemeni government.

AIJES Director Jamal Al-Awadhi carrying rebels responsible for the continued suffering of the people of Yemen and warned of a humanitarian disaster, will face more than twenty-five million Yemenis if the UN , EU, US doesn’t force Al- Houthis militia to implement the UN security council resolutions 2216.
Houthis have violated the truce and ceasefire when its militias attacked the positions of the Yemeni army in Marib east of Yemen firing of missiles on the Saudi cities, killing at least 18 soldiers so far.

A U.N.-mediated truce to the war in Yemen went into effect a minute before midnight on Wednesday, hours after Saudi-led airstrikes hit military bases in the capital Sanaa and rival militias battled near the border with the kingdom.

The coalition led by Saudi Arabia said in a statement it would respect the three-day truce provided its foes in Yemen’s Iran-allied Houthi movement also complied, allowed aid supplies to reach combat areas and kept calm on the border.

Residents reported in the early hours of Wednesday that air raids hit several army barracks, the latest of thousands of air strikes during a 19-month military intervention by Saudi Arabia and Arab allies.

Despite support from that coalition, forces loyal to the internationally recognized exiled government have made few recent gains against the Houthis and army units based in Sanaa.

The pro-Houthi military said late on Tuesday it had fired rockets at a Saudi army base and that its forces had repelled an attempt by Saudi-backed government forces to seize an intersection connecting two far northern provinces.

Several previous ceasefires have failed to pave the way for an end to the conflict, but have significantly slowed fighting in the war which has killed at least 10,000 people.

Exiled President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi told state news agency Saba on Wednesday that he expected his foes would violate the truce.

“We don’t expect from them today anything more than prevarication and procrastination,” Hadi was quoted as saying after meeting the U.S. and British ambassadors.

Original Article