Aden – A high-ranking Yemeni official said on Tuesday that his country’s government deals with the international community represented by the U.N. and the ambassadors of states sponsoring peace in Yemen in an official and positive way, adding that the Yemeni negotiating team has not received any information about the place and date of the new round of peace talks.
Yemeni presidential adviser Yasin Makkawi told Asharq Al-Awsat that the negotiating team which represents the recognized government has not yet received any information about a planned new round of peace talks on Yemen.
Makkawi showed resentment regarding the latest efforts made to solve the Yemeni crisis. “There are question marks on all efforts exerted outside the framework of the U.N. and those efforts are therefore considered as playing with wasted time particularly that the Yemeni government has not participated in them. Any plan that does not end the coup would not be accepted.”
The presidential advisor said that the Yemeni government had already offered a clear analysis of U.N. envoy to Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed’s roadmap. “At the same time, the government offered a substitute roadmap.”
Early this month, Yemen rejected a U.N. roadmap to end its civil war, saying it would create a “dangerous international precedent” by legitimizing Houthis against the country’s internationally recognized government.
On Monday, the Foreign Ministers of the Quartet meeting (U.S., U.K., Saudi Arabia and the U.A.E.) affirmed in the joint statement following Riyadh’s meeting that the powers of the Yemeni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi will not be transferred until parties commence to execute the security and political steps mentioned in the U.N. roadmap.
Makkawi asserted that it was not enough today to speak about the references based on the Gulf initiative, outcomes of Yemeni national dialogue and the U.N. resolution 2216 and at the same time have some parties bypassing those three references.
The Yemeni advisor denied rumors saying Hadi had asked the U.N. envoy to include in his substitute plan a request to exile former President Ali Abdullah Saleh and Houthi leader Abdel Malik al-Houthi to outside Yemen. “We did not speak about this and we refuse such request. We said that their presence is a threat and their departure is also a threat.”
Makkawi asked that both men be prosecuted for their involvement in the coup. “We ask that they be trialed as war criminals,” he said.
Makkawi uncovered that the recognized Yemeni government had received during the Kuwait talks several requests to facilitate the departure of Saleh and al-Houthi from Yemen, adding that the Yemeni government had refused such requests.