The secretary general of the regional group, the Gulf Cooperation Council, Abdullatif al-Zayani, arrived in Sana for a three-day visit to try to resurrect the power-transfer deal, which the council brokered between Mr. Saleh and opposition leaders.
Although the political opposition approved the deal, the street protesters never signed on. They rejected the plan’s 30-day transition period, arguing that Mr. Saleh was not serious about stepping down and only stalling for time and insisting on his immediate departure. They also disagreed with the promise of immunity, saying he should be held responsible for the deaths of protesters.
The deal fell apart two weeks ago when Mr. Saleh made it clear that he would not sign the agreement as president, but as leader of the governing party.
Since then, the street protests have continued and diplomatic efforts have stalled.
Mr. Zayani, the Gulf states’ envoy, was to meet with Foreign Minister Abubakr al-Qirbi on Saturday evening, a Yemeni official said.
In remarks published in the Saudi daily newspaper Okaz on Saturday, Mr. Saleh said that after any transfer of power he planned to take to the streets as the opposition and “bring down the government again.”
He said the deal for him to leave office needed further negotiation. “There are some clauses in it that are obscure and ambiguous, requiring better clarification through direct talks with the Yemeni groups,” he was quoted as saying.