By: NY Staff
As part of the the Military Committee’s duties regarding the removal of armed presences from Arhab and Nehm tribal locations, following an agreement by Ahmed Ali Saleh and Ali Mohsen, implementation of these duties has commenced on the Sana’a-Marib Road.
The agreement was signed by the two military figures at First Armored Division headquarters last Thursday. The signing came under the supervision of the Ministers of Defense and Interior, Major General Fadhl Al-Qawsi, Military Committee member Abdul-Aziz Al-Shameeri, Military Committee Secretary Ali Naser Al-Harbi and Brigadier General Mohammed Al-Otmi.
The agreement contained twelve items; most prominent among them was an item which concerned the removal of Republican Guard units from citizens’ farms and houses and the return of the units to their camps. The agreement was also signed by eight tribal sheikhs as well as by Al-Qawsi and the ministers of Defense and Interior.
The agreement between Ali Mohsen and Ahmed Ali is considered to be the second of its kind, as an earlier agreement, signed last May, aimed to put an end to months of fighting between Republican Guard and tribal forces. During this fighting, tribal forces attempted to seize control of Republican Guard camps, and Al-Sama’a strategic camp in particular.
The text of the latest agreement signed by Ali Mohsen and Ahmed Ali read:
This meeting, held at 11.30 AM on 21-6-2012 at the First Armored Division Headquarters, is to discuss the removal of all armed presences along roads to Nehm, Arhab and Bani-Jarmooz. Attending the meeting are:
Minister of Defense Mohammed Nasser Ahmed
Minister of Interior Abdulkader Qahtan
Major General Ali Mohsen, Commander of the First Armored Division
Major Fadhl Al-Qawsi, Undersecretary of the Interior Ministry
Brigadier General Abdul-Aziz Al-Shameeri, Military Committee member
Brigadier General Nasser Ali Al-Harbi, Military Committee Secretary
Brigadier General Mohammed Al-Otmi, Peacekeeping Forces Commander
All sides agreed on:
– A final ceasefire between the two sides; the commander of the peacekeeping forces should observe any side which breaks the ceasefire.
– Republican Guard units should leave all farms and houses belonging to citizens and return to their camps.
– Republican Guard units residing in the hills of Ba-than, Wasel, and Bani-Sa’ed should return to their camps.
– Tribal forces should leave Wasel Hill and submit it to the military committee headed by Mohammed Al-Otmi and his deputy, Abdullah Al-Mekhlafi.
– The removal of all new checkpoints on highways.
– The removal of all new checkpoints in Al-Hamra’a, Al-Qadhf, Bait Dagheesh, in addition to the rest of the existing checkpoints.
– The release of detainees from the prisons of both sides, when proof is available.
– The release of all equipment belonging to tribes which is being held by Republican Guard units.
– The deployment of a team to disarm landmines.
– The formation of a committee to account for all damage done in the region, including damage done to tribes.
– The prevention of movements to and from military camps.
– The provision of full freedom for citizens and military forces personnel to move about with their personal firearms.
The aforementioned items were agreed upon and signed by:
Sheikh Najeeb Nasser Al-Jarmouzi
Sheikh Mohammed Ali Al-Najar
Sheikh Shaief Mohsen Al-Jarmouzi
Sheikh Ayedh Asdan
Sheikh Abdulkhaleq Al-Janbi
Sheikh Shater Al-Twqi
Sheikh Aref Sheryan
Sheikh Sultan Hassan