A Yemeni government official said on Sunday that the nation’s security services had been placed on high alert to prevent terrorist attacks following the uncovering of a plot to launch assaults against security and military checkpoints.
“The Interior Ministry has ordered security services to be posted across the provinces, as well as in the capital, to increase the alertness of military and security positions to prevent any unexpected terrorist attacks,” a ministry official said.
The orders “come after security services uncovered a terrorist plot to carry out attacks against security and military posts and checkpoints,” the official added.
According to the ministry officials, the attackers had been plotting to “disguise themselves by wearing military uniforms to achieve their aims.”
Al-Qaeda militants have carried out several deadly attacks against Yemeni security services since President Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi, who has repeatedly vowed to battle extremists, came to power earlier this year.
In May, a Yemeni soldier detonated explosives packed under his uniform in the middle of an army battalion in Sana’a, killing 96 troops and wounding around 300.
The Yemen-based Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula affiliate, believed to be the global terror network’s most effective and lethal franchise, claimed responsibility for the attack.
This month, a suicide bomber blew himself up at the entrance of a police academy in Sana’a, killing eight cadets and wounding several more. Officials accused al-Qaeda of carrying out the attack.
However, as yet, the network has not claimed responsibility.