At least 45 people have been killed in northwest Yemen after a Saudi airstrike hit a camp for internally displaced people.
The humanitarian agency, Doctors Without Borders (MSF), confirmed the bombing of the Al-Mazraq camp in Hajjah Province. Dozens of people were injured.
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) also said the camp had been hit.
The camp has sheltered Yemenis displaced by the conflict between the Houthi movement, who now control the capital Sanaa, and the then-central government since 2009. It has received 500 new families over the past two days amid the Saudi-led airstrikes and fighting between the Houthis and the alternative government of President Abdrabuh Mansour Hadi.
Photographs from the Al-Mazrak camp near the Saudi border showed children being carried away on stretchers as the International Organisation for Migration put the number of dead at 45 and the injury count as high as 200.
The number of Yemeni refugees has grown hugely since the Houthis swept south, seizing the capital, Sana’a, the third city, Taiz, and laid siege to the strategic port city of Aden.
Humanitarian workers in Aden have been overwhelmed by the number of casualties streaming into hospitals. “We were not ready to face this kind of situation,” Valerie Pierre, coordinator for aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres, told Reuters.
More than 250 patients have arrived at the organisation’s 45-bed facility over the past 10 days.
In Sanaa, jets struck around the presidential palace early on Monday, as well as a weapons depot in the Nugum mountain overlooking the capital. A spokeswoman for the International Red Cross said the bombardment near their offices was making it difficult to ascertain full details of the deaths in Al-Mazrak camp.