Hours after more than 350 Indians arrived home following a dramatic rescue from strife-torn Yemen, the Indian Navy has started its second round of evacuation. The operation is currently on at the rebel-held port of Al Hodeidah, in the southwest part of Yemen.
Sources say nearly 400 Indians are expected to sail on naval warship INS Sumitra from the port to Djibouti. The rebels had seized this strategic port on the Red Sea in October.
The ship was outside Yemeni waters till it got permission from the port authorities. The Indian Consul had already put out an alert for Indians across the country to travel to the port if they could and wanted to leave. The journey to safety is expected to take over 12 hours. Two IAF C-17 Globemasters are then expected.
New Delhi has issued a series of warnings this year to Indian nationals to leave Yemen, the last of them shortly before Saudi Arabia launched air strikes last Thursday against Iranian-allied Houthi militiamen.
NEW DELHI (AFP) –
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday asked Saudi Arabia’s new king for his support in efforts to evacuate some 4,000 stranded Indians from war-torn Yemen.
Modi expressed his “deep concern about the safety and welfare of the approximately 4,000 Indian citizens in Yemen” when Saudi King Salman telephoned him late evening, the Indian foreign ministry said.
“Prime minister briefed his majesty King Salman on India’s evacuation plan and requested his majesty’s support and cooperation,” a ministry statement said, adding that the king assured Modi of “all possible assistance”.