A senior Iranian official has called on the UN special envoy to Yemen to intervene and halt Saudi war on Yemen and prevent a humanitarian catastrophe from taking place in the impoverished state.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran expects Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, the UN secretary general’s envoy to Yemen, to immediately travel to this country and take action for halting strikes and preventing the intensification of humanitarian catastrophe,” Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said in a Sunday telephone conversation with UN Under-Secretary-General and Emergency Relief Coordinator Valerie Amos.
The Iranian official denounced Saudi Arabia’s airstrikes against Yemeni infrastructure and civilian targets in the northwestern province of Sa’ada and the northern province of Amran over the past two days.
He said destruction of airports, which had been prepared to handle relief aid supplied by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) and international aid organizations, is a “blatant violation of international and humanitarian laws.”
Amir-Abdollahian expressed Iran’s readiness to send fuel and petroleum products to various Yemeni ports in full coordination with the UN relief program and also dispatch medical teams and set up field hospitals in the cities of Sana’a, Sa’ada and Aden.
“Iran is ready to immediately send relief and food cargoes either through air routes to Djibouti or directly to Yemen,” he said.
Amir-Abdollahian also stated that Tehran is ready to swiftly fly those injured in the Saudi airstrikes to Iran for medical treatment.
Amos, for her part, commended Iran’s support for relief operations in Yemen, saying the United Nations has prepared comprehensive plans to help civilians in the war-hit country.
She added that Iran’s humanitarian aid would be dispatched to Yemen in line with the UN relief work.