Local News

Islamic State Claims Yemen Mosque Attack-IS Twitter Statement

A bomb exploded at Houthi militants mosque in the Yemeni capital Sanaa on Friday, wounding 13 people, a security source said, and the Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement on Twitter.

The bombing came against a backdrop of civil war in the country. Iranian-backed Houthi rebels have seized large swathes of territory, including Sanaa, prompting formation of a Saudi-backed Arab coalition that is using air power to try to halt their advances.

“Members of the caliphate in Sanaa have detonated an explosive device in a Houthi mosque in the people’s district…which lead to the death and injury of many of them ” said the Islamic State.

According to a security source in Sanaa two out of the 13 wounded were in critical condition. The source added that the bomb was planted inside the mosque before Friday prayers.

Earlier this year, a group of Islamist fighters in Yemen renounced their loyalty to al Qaeda’s leader and pledged allegiance to the head of the Islamic State.

In April, a new branch of the Islamic State group in Yemen issued a video showing what it said was the beheading of four Yemeni soldiers and the shooting of 10 others.