UNITED NATIONS (UNITED STATES) (AFP) – Talks aimed at ending the war in Yemen are on track to begin on April 18 in Kuwait, the UN envoy confirmed on Friday.
A nationwide ceasefire is due to come into effect at midnight on April 10 to bolster the new round of talks between the Saudi-backed Yemeni government and Shiite Huthi rebels.
“With political will, good faith and balance, they could take this opportunity to end the conflict and pave the way towards a permanent and durable end of the war,” UN envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed said in a statement.
The talks were announced last week after months of shuttle diplomacy by the UN envoy and growing pressure on a Saudi-led coalition to end its air campaign in Yemen.
More than 6,300 people have been killed in Yemen since the coalition — which includes Kuwait — began an air war a year ago to push back the Huthi offensive.
The envoy said UN teams were working “at full speed” in Sanaa and Riyadh to prepare the delegations and another team was on its way.