Three civilians were killed in east Yemen (Marib governorate) on Sunday when rockets fired by Houthi rebels hit a government hospital, the facility’s director and a local official said.
The attack wounded 17 other people, said the director of the Marib General Hospital Authority, Shawqi al-Sharjabi.
Pro-government forces, backed by a Saudi-led coalition battling the rebels for more than a year, have retaken most of the eastern Marib province from the Houthi insurgents and their allies.
However, the rebels still control northern and western parts of the oil-rich province east of the capital Sanaa, which has been held by the Houthis since September 2014.
A government official in Marib city told AFP that rockets were fired by rebels from the Haylan mountains overlooking the provincial capital.
He said the attack, which killed a doctor, took place during a visit to the city by a government delegation.
The rebel advance on Sanaa forced Yemen’s internationally-recognised government last year to declare main southern city Aden a temporary capital.
Sunday’s attack comes as the warring parties prepare for a UN-brokered ceasefire on April 10 intended to pave the way for peace talks in Kuwait a week later.
The planned truce was only agreed by the two sides after months of shuttle diplomacy by UN envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed.
Previous UN-sponsored negotiations between the rebels and the government failed to make any headway, and a ceasefire announced for December 15 was repeatedly violated and abandoned by the Saudi-led Arab coalition on January 2.
The United Nations says about 6,300 people have been killed in the war, more than half of them civilians.