Aden-Southern Aden’s Security Director Brigadier General Shalal Shaya revealed that Yemeni security taskforces have identified all members of the sleeper terror cell which have staged a series of assassinations.
The terrorists had taken down a UAE officer working for the Emirati Red Crescent, senior southern Yemeni officials, traffic police and religious men.
Aden police spokesperson Abd Al-Rahman Al-Naqib said the identities were disclosed at a meeting held among security officials.
Naqib added that the security forces have been holding extensive meetings to target terrorism across all eight Yemeni governorates. Members involved in terror acts are being tracked down, in an effort to restore legitimacy and the rule of law in Yemen.
Spokesperson Naqib lauded the efforts of countries partaking in the Arab Coalition led for Yemen, namely the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Naqib extoled the relentless exertions by the two, especially in backing Aden’s police force in dark times. He stated that the support received played a major role in restoring security in the governorate.
Moreover, security officers suspect that there is a nexus between the assassins and Houthis along with forces allied to Saleh, who were driven out of Aden by the Arab coalition fighting to restore the legitimate Yemeni government.
Special security forces officers have been deployed throughout the city. The group was formed after the liberation of Aden from Iran-backed Houthi occupation in July last year.
The city of Aden, the temporary base of President Abd Rabbo Mansour Hadi’s government, has seen a series of drive-by shootings and terrorist attacks that claimed the lives of many government officials and popular resistance fighters.
The recently discovered terror ring had admitted to staging the horrendous March attack against a retirement home in Aden.
Gunmen, on March 4, had stormed a retirement home in the southern Yemeni port city of Aden, killing 16 people, including four Indian nuns, Yemeni security officials and witnesses said.
The killing spree began with two gunmen who first surrounded the home for the elderly in Aden while four others entered the building, the witnesses and officials said.