Aden, Riyadh- Rebel militias have started covering the traces of an attack on mourners last week in south Sana’a that killed and injured hundreds, Yemeni sources close to the matter told Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper.
Rebels are now satisfied after they have accused the Arab Coalition for standing behind the attack therefore,they are covering the traces of the bombing. They also want to impede any objective investigation in the presence of local, regional and international voices calling for an independent inquiry into the bombing.
The sources said that militia leaders have ordered the quick covering of the traces left by the bombing, despite the objection of the Khoulan tribes, to which are affiliated the Al Rouwayshan family of the victims.
“The Khoulan tribes sent armed groups to Sana’a in an attempt to prevent rebels from covering the traces of the bombing,” the sources said.
Al-Rouwayshan family refused on Monday to be driven behind voices calling for escalation and revenge launched by ousted former President Ali Abdullah Saleh and Abdul-Malik al-Houthi following the bombing.
A statement issued by Sheikh Mohammed bin Yahya Al-Rouwayshan Monday did not accuse the Arab Coalition for standing behind the attack, but said that what happened was a “sordid conspiracy” free from any ethics.
The Sheikh called on all Khoulan tribes and all honorable Yemenis to be patient, calm and to show self-control until the outcome of the investigation, which will be conducted by the U.N. soon, is revealed.
Observers told Asharq Al-Awsat that the video showing the hall where mourners were attacked drives many question marks regarding the party that has filmed the event, particularly that the video was broadcasted by television channels owned by rebels. Observers were also suspicious about the absence of any Houthi official among the victims of the bombing.
Observers stopped at the tweet posted by Houthi leader Hassan Mohammed Zayed last Friday saying that a big event is expected to happen on Saturday, the day of the bombing.
Meanwhile, Houthi militias failed yesterday to target a U.S. Navy guided missile destroyer.
A U.S. military told Reuters that the failed missile attack on the USS Mason began around 7 p.m. local time, when the ship detected two inbound missiles over a 60-minute period in the Red Sea off Yemen’s coast.
Reuters reported that neither of the two missiles hit the USS Mason.
“Both missiles impacted the water before reaching the ship,” Pentagon spokesman Captain Jeff Davis said. “There were no injuries to our sailors and no damage to the ship.”
In New York, Saudi Ambassador to the U.N. Abdallah Al-Mouallimi uncovered the Kingdom’s movements in the corridors of the U.N. Security Council to review what measures should be taken against rebels in Yemen, particularly following their escalatory air assaults against Saudi Arabia.
Mouallimi told Asharq Al-Awsat in a telephone interview that he expects an adequate response from the U.N. to what happens against Saudi Arabia. “The launching of missiles by rebels inside Saudi territories will not achieve any political purpose,” he said.