Aden (AFP) – The UN envoy for Yemen called Saturday for the renewal of a 72-hour ceasefire in the country, though fighting has raged on between Houthi rebels and government forces despite the truce.
“With the 72-hour Cessation of Hostilities in Yemen coming to an end, the United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed urges all parties to agree to its extension for at least another renewable 72 hours,” said a statement posted on the envoy’s Facebook page.
The truce ended officially at midnight (2100 GMT) Saturday.
Ahmed said the ceasefire was “largely holding despite reported violations from both sides in several areas.”
“We noted over the last days that food and humanitarian supplies were provided to several affected neighborhoods and that UN personnel were able to reach areas that were previously inaccessible. We would like to build on this and we aim for a wider outreach in the next few days,” he added.
The Yemeni government, backed by a Saudi-led Arab coalition, and Iran-supported Huthi rebels have traded accusations of truce violations over the past three days.