Egypt has condemned a missile attack fired by Yemeni rebels that Saudi Arabia claimed targeted the city of Mecca, calling it an “unacceptable precedent” and a “disregard to the sanctity of Muslim holy sites that should not pass in silence.”
Saudi Arabia said on Friday that Houthi rebels had fired a missile towards Islam’s holiest city overnight, before the missile was intercepted and destroyed by coalition forces.
According to AP, rebel media in Yemen said the missile was targeting an international airport in Jeddah.
Mecca is home to the Kaaba shrine, towards which Muslims must face when they pray, and at which millions gather annually to perform pilgrimage.
An Egyptian foreign ministry statement on Friday announced Egypt’s “full solidarity” with Saudi Arabia and stressed its support of the internationally recognised government in Yemen, which is backed by the Saudis.
Civil war broke out in September 2014 when Houthi rebels, who are Shia, took over the capital Sanaa and overthrew the country’s government.
In March 2015, a Saudi-led coalition of Arab countries, including Egypt, began a military attack against the Houthi forces.
Another Houthi missile was fired earlier this month targeting Taif, also near Mecca.