In The Media

Saudi Arabia rejects UN Yemen report

“We exercise the maximum degree of care and precaution to avoid civilian harm,” Saudi UN Ambassador Al Mouallimi said

United Nations: Saudi Arabia on Friday rejected a United Nations report blaming a Saudi-led military coalition for killing or injuring 683 children in Yemen and attacking dozens of schools and hospitals as “inaccurate and misleading”.

“We exercise the maximum degree of care and precaution to avoid civilian harm,” Saudi UN Ambassador Abdullah Al Mouallimi told reporters at the United Nations.

In a report submitted to the UN Security Council on Thursday, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres blacklisted the Saudi-led coalition for its 2016 actions — even as he said it had taken action to improve child protection.

“The kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the coalition reaffirm that it is taking important measures to protect civilians during all military operations to end the suffering of the Yemeni people and minimise the humanitarian cost,” Mouallimi said.

“We reject the inaccurate and misleading information and figures contained in the report and we express our strong reservation with respect to this information,” he said.

The coalition had been briefly added to the UN blacklist last year and removed by then-Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon pending review. At the time, Ban accused Saudi Arabia of exerting “unacceptable” undue pressure after sources told Reuters that Riyadh threatened to cut some UN funding. Saudi Arabia denied this.

Yemen has been devastated by more than two years of civil war in which President Abd Rabbo Mansour Hadi’s government, backed by the Saudi-led coalition, is fighting to drive the Al Houthis out of cities they seized in 2014 and 2015.

More than 10,000 people have been killed and the conflict has ruined the economy and pushed millions to the brink of famine.

Al Mouallimi blamed the Iran-allied Al Houthi rebels and forces loyal to Yemen’s ex-President Ali Abdullah Saleh for putting civilians at risk, including using children as human shields.

The UN blacklist also named the Al Houthi rebel group, Yemen government forces, pro-government militia and Al Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula for violations against children in 2016.

Original Article